Certain life events -- such as marriage, birth, or retirement -- can result in changes in benefit needs and/or affect dependents' eligibility for certain Lehigh benefits.
A qualifying life event (QLE) such as those listed below is one that permits you to make appropriate changes to your benefit elections in response to the event.
Changes must be requested within 31 days of the event. In addition to requesting the change, the proper forms and documentation need to be provided to Human Resources via the Lehigh Benefits enrollment website.
The requested changes must be consistent with the nature of the qualifying event and previous benefit election choices. For example, adding a newborn or newly adopted child to your medical and life insurance plans is consistent with the birth or adoption of a child. However, adding your partner to your dental plan would not be consistent with this event.
How to Make Changes to Benefits due to a Qualifying Life Event:
- Log into Connect Lehigh at https://connect.lehigh.edu/app/login
- Select Employee from the dropdown list
- Select Lehigh Benefits
- Click “View/Edit Your Benefits” on the right side of the screen
- Click "Edit Benefits" and enter the change reason and event date when prompted
- Enter your changes and upload supporting documentation
You can also give the Benefits Center a call at 844-342-4002 for assistance.
The following is a list of common QLEs:
- Change in marital/partnership status
- Addition or change in number of dependents
- Death in the family
- Death of a dependent child or spouse/partner
- Death of a Lehigh employee or retiree
- Internal Protocol for Announcing the Deaths of Currently Employed Faculty and Staff to Lehigh Community (login required)
- Changes related to employment or location
- Change in spouse/partner's employment
- Significant change in residence location
- Reduction in work hours below the Affordable Care Act's employer plan eligibility threshold; or, eligibility for a healthcare marketplace annual or special enrollment period. (These events do not permit FSA changes.)
Contact a Human Resources representative for additional assistance or information related to a life event not included above.