Lehigh University provides a tuition cash grant to another regionally accredited post-secondary degree granting institution for each eligible unmarried dependent child of full benefits eligible faculty and exempt staff members and their domestic partners.
The benefit is available to salaried faculty and exempt staff members who are regularly scheduled to work at least 75 percent of a full-time schedule after they meet the waiting period requirements. The level of this benefit depends on when you began your employment in an eligible position at Lehigh.
For faculty and exempt staff employed in eligible positions after September 1, 1986:
- There is a five year waiting period for the grant. The waiting period is waived for:
- Faculty members at the rank of Associate or Full Professor, and
- Exempt staff members at salary grade 11 and above.
- The maximum academic year grant is $5,000 per child per year.
- The total grant available to the child is $20,000.
- The grant may be applied to tuition and to “fees” that are required of all students in all programs of the receiving institution.
For faculty and exempt staff employed in eligible positions on or before September 1, 1986:
- The maximum academic year grant is equal to 50 percent of Lehigh’s full-time undergraduate tuition.
- The total grant available is equivalent to 50 percent of Lehigh’s full-time tuition during the first four years of participation in the benefit program.
- The grant may be applied to tuition and to “fees” that are required of all students in all programs of the receiving institution. It may also be applied to room and board charges (for a double occupancy room).
Tuition Cash Grant Benefits are taxable to the employee if:
- The employee is considered “highly compensated” under Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidelines, and/or
- The child is age 24 or over and earning more than the IRS individual exemption amount for the calendar year in which the grant is paid, and/or
- The benefits are provided for the unmarried dependent child of a domestic partner, and/or
- Any of the benefits are applied to the cost of room and board.
For More Information
- Read the Tuition Cash Grant Policy
- Go to the Tuition Cash Grant Form and Fact Sheet
- More detailed information on tuition benefits is available in the faculty and staff guides.
- For policy questions or assistance with a specific situation, please contact Human Resources.
This web page provides summary information in effect on the date it was prepared.